Sunday, December 23, 2007

Getting reacquainted with my kitchen(ette)

The big shopping trip yesterday has given me lots of reasons to spend time in the kitchen. Well, it's more of a kitchenette, in my modest studio apartment, but enough space to cook some good eats, nevertheless.

For breakfast, I made whole grain apple pancakes and ate them with maple syrup and a scoop of cottage cheese with blueberries, for some protein. Lunch (and dinner tonight) was a delicious beef stew that I cooked early this afternoon. I'll be posting both of these recipes in the near future.

I just returned from the gym, where I did about 2 miles, at a 8:34 min/mile pace. I am still completely in awe of how difficult this modest effort seemed to me. I was never aerobically uncomfortable, but felt a lot of something (tension/fatigue?) in the area between my lower calves and ankles. I'm not exactly sure what this is about, and sort of wonder if it might be the running shoes that I'm using, since the only other time I've experienced this feeling was when wearing that particular pair on a fairly long run last spring or summer. Maybe the geometry is off?

On the bright side, my gym has fancy new flat panel TVs in front of each treadmill now. We had tiny ones before, but they were small enough that it could be more of an annoyance than pleasure to watch them. The screens that we have now appear to be about 13-15", and provided plenty of room to watch today's Bills - Giants game.

No comments: